One of the best habits you can fore is practicing gratitude. Being grateful for the small things in addition to the major things in our lives sets us up for success. In this post, we'll share how to start a gratitude journal, and provide a few things to begin your list.
What is a gratitude journal?
A gratitude journal is a journal that is dedicated to only writing about things you are grateful for. Many people who are avid journal keepers tend to have several journals at a time that are dedicated to different things related to their lives and interests.
Why start a gratitude journal?
Starting a gratitude journal is a great way to get in the habit of thinking more positively and looking on the bright side of things. You could practice gratitude by speaking or thinking in silence, but there are many benefits to writing it down.
Benefits of Starting A Gratitude Journal
- Promotes positive thinking
- Attracts more things to be grateful for
- Provides a record of positive things to reflect on
- Boosts mood
- Greater sense of happiness
- Improves self esteem
- Helps to reduce stress levels
- Increases physical health
As you can see, there are many positives to starting and keeping a gratitude journal. Now, let’s discuss how to start a gratitude journal.
How to Start A Gratitude Journal
- Get a blank journal and a pen. Need a journal? click here.
- Format your pages.
- This step is optional. You can format your journal pages, using the following format, or you can skip this step.
- Set a timer for 2-5 minutes.
- Write down everything you can think of to be grateful for. Don't think anything is too silly or too small.
- Health and well-being
- Food and water
- Family and friends
- A TV show or movie that you enjoy watching
- The sunrise
- Waking up today
- The beauty in nature
In another post, we'll discuss how you can create experiences by being grateful for something you hope for in the future. But this should get you started for now. Happy journaling!